Hi I’m Leanne and I’m the founder of Getaway Guru. In 2010, this site started off as a listing site for Australian and New Zealand owned holiday rentals in France and Italy and you can read more about that below (and it’s something I’m still really passionate about).
But with the rise of holiday rental listing site giants (ahem..have you heard of Airbnb), I was finding that the need for a site like mine was not as burning an issue as it had been. What I did find was that I was continuing to receive a lot of enquiries about the how (and sometimes the ‘why’) of holiday rentals.
So in 2017, I began to focus more on helping travellers navigate the increasing complex and busy world of holiday rentals to find the perfect fit home away from home.
What’s my travelling story
I’ve been travelling for as long as I can remember with my first trip being by boat for 6 weeks from Australia to Malaysia (less than 1 year old!) after my Dad was sent on an overseas military posting (actually that’s the last ‘cruise’ I went on!)
My passion for travel has continued to grow and I’ve been fortunate to:
- Live as an expatriate in a number of countries including England and Malaysia;
- Take an extended overseas working holiday for 3 ½ years with travel throughout the UK, Eastern and Western Europe and Africa;
- Travel through Europe in a camper van for 6 months (loved the freedom!);
- Travel for 6 months around eastern, central and northern Australia (in a panel van no less!) and
- Continue taking regular overseas trips to keep exploring.
I don’t want to brag but I’m sharing this because I want you to know that I’ve got the experience (and willingness) to back up what I blog about.
I’ve traveled to and spent time in France, Italy, Germany, Greece, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Britain, Ireland, Wales, Turkey, Thailand, Egypt, Africa, India, Morocco, Prague, Hungary, Vietnam, Vanuatu, Fiji and many more I’ve forgotten to mention!
The Getaway Guru story
Well they say that solving a problem is a good way to start a business and Getaway Guru is the living embodiment of solving a problem.
In 2005 when I was planning a trip to France and looking for accommodation, I was drowning in internet searches and felt overwhelmed with choices (you know the feeling right?). It was then that I stumbled across an advertisement in a print magazine (Sydney’s Child of all places!) for an Australian owned cottage in France and was intrigued.
It was great being able to call the owner and talk through what we were looking for and what her house and the village where it was located was like. It was reassuring and easy! And so affordable. We booked and then thoroughly enjoyed our 2 week stay at in Languedoc France. I was a convert!
It was such a positive experience that I began actively seeking Australian owned properties when planning my subsequent overseas trips and quickly realised that there was no one place to find all these Australian owned properties. And so was born the concept of Getaway Guru which launched in 2010 with 5 properties.
But as I said, the world moves on and the world of holiday rentals is dominated by large listing sites like Airbnb, VRBO and others. So my expertise is now better applied in helping others navigate the world of holiday rentals (and I’ll still continue to be a champion for Australian and NZ owned properties!)
So, what you’ll find here now….
Spend some time browsing and you’ll find:
- Information on where and how to book to holiday rentals for destinations around the world
- Reviews of holiday rentals I’ve stayed in and would recommend
- Where to find unique holiday rentals (think castles, tree houses or even igloos)
- Lots of travel related information on flying, visiting and making the most of enjoying your holiday destination
And if you can’t find what you’re looking for, let me know at email@example.com