|Price:||From $850 AUD p/n|
The celebrated Villa Sungai is a gorgeous, private, luxury Australian owned Bali villa situated amidst lush jungle and gardens overlooking a river on the fashionable southwest coast of Bali. Just a short drive from the bustle of glamorous Seminyak, yet it feels a million miles away.
Villa Sungai is a property with charm, intimacy and elegance and has everything you expect from the finest hotels, with the added bonus of privacy and exclusivity. It is Bali’s version of a luxury lodge – intimate and bespoke, tailored to the sophisticated and discerning experiential traveller looking for luxury accommodation with access to local experiences. From its immaculate, elegant interiors to the extraordinary service, this villa is the last word in spoiling and relaxation. Sungai has taken the 5-star hotel experience to the next level – perfect for couples, families, or friends holidaying together.
Tucked-up on a hillside on the south-west coast, three pavilion style bedrooms adrift in clouds of mosquito nets and inside/outside bathrooms, but it’s the anytime/anywhere style service courtesy of the discreetly dedicated staff that will maximise the pleasure principle of your holiday.
Beyond the all-day dining and bar there is someone to book you into the best restaurants, or organize any activity from white water rafting to poolside massage.
The villa feature off-white terrazzo, traditional Balinese thatched roofing and vast ceilings, extravagant netted over-sized four-poster beds, exotic indoor/outdoor bathrooms with luxury Chopard and bespoke bathroom goodies, European double baths and tap ware, imported mattresses, pure white Egyptian cotton sheets, thick white cotton bath sheets, enormous Ploh pillows, air-conditioning and fans, LED reading lights, Tivoli Audio and loaded iPods, twice daily servicing including nightly turn-down.
All rooms have king single daybeds that can become extra bedding with the same quality of premium bedding and netting, and all open directly to the pools, and overlook the river below and jungle beyond.
Villa Sungai has 3 king poolside suites with four bathrooms and the capacity to hold 1-6 adults with facilities for babies and children if required. As the larger villa of the two (also see Sungai Gold), Villa Sungai provides a private home that is perfect for most occasions, however, can be booked in conjunction with Sungai Gold for larger gatherings.
Bali Villa Sungai:
- 3 king pool-side suites (3 king beds + capacity for king single in each room)
- 4 bathrooms (3 ensuite indoor/outdoor bathrooms + 1 smaller bathroom/powder room)
- Living/dining pavilion
- Spa room
- 18m pool and 2 pool decks (1×4; 1×2)
The three king bedrooms at Villa Sungai are deliberately simply outfitted with huge, deeply comfortable canopied beds that you will never want to leave.
Your bedroom can be as open or closed as you want. The rooms are all air conditioned, but the doors can also be left open to enjoy your Bali Villa Sungai sleep with the clean, gentle breeze blowing through your vast netted canopy. Villas Sungai provides a welcoming unaffected hideaway that is near busy Seminyak, but feels a million miles away. It is a natural and comforting experience with no pollution or noise, apart from farm animals and the occasional frog.
Dining and Bar
The villa is a full-service property offering dining (at cost only) and bar facilities (at wholesale prices). Accordingly, our guests do not bring food or drinks into the property. We do, however, offer our guests the opportunity to BYO duty free spirits for use in mixed drinks, and yet for your convenience they are also available from the bar.
Australian, French, New Zealand, Italian and local wines + a large range of cocktails are available from the bar at wholesale prices.
The Sungai Bali chef Wayan and his team prepare creative dishes of primarily contemporary Asian-style cuisine and Indonesian specialties using only the freshest ingredients shopped for daily, and complemented by excellence in service that continues Sungai’s dining reputation.
Villa Sungai has an innovative approach to food. The chefs shop daily at local markets, delicatessens and specialty shops, and the receipts are produced to you for approval the next morning. There is no mark-up on them nor a premium added for its preparation by your chefs. You won’t pay a cent more than if you went and bought the produce yourself.
It is hardly surprising that Villa Sungai’s guests dine in >75% of the time but you, of course, are free to choose.
Child Friendly Zone
Babies, toddlers and children will feel right at home with their own fun menu and drinks list, beach bags, sarongs and slippers, activity centres and toys. Not to mention baby sitters if you are not travelling with your own. There is no need to battle with strollers, car seats, baby baths, Bumbos and cots as most requirements from sterilisers to high chairs and sunscreens are provided. And what is more, you can order ahead for nappies, wipes, and specific baby foods.
Special activities for children can be arranged!
Bali Villa Spa
Whether you come for easy access to the many wonderful sights and facilities of Bali, or just to soak up the informally luxurious ambience of Villa Sungai perfected by beautiful natural surroundings and highly personalised services, your stay will be enhanced by the opportunity to enjoy a range of revitalising body treatments in your in-house spa and yoga classes poolside. Enjoy your spoils without leaving the beautifully private villa that is to become your own luxury home for a little while.
- Uber king sized beds, extravagant bedding and netted canopies
- Expansive indoor/outdoor bathrooms with double basins
- CHOPARD and bespoke natural soaps, shampoos, conditioners, body cream and bath salts
- Bose sound in the pavilions, Tivoli Audio and loaded iPods in guest rooms
- Satellite TV, DVD player, cable TV [SUNGAI 1 & 3; SUNGAI GOLD 1]
- Wireless (WiFi) broadband internet (a ‘one-off’ charge of USD30 applies)
- Personal safes
- Sarongs, sandals, shopping/beach baskets
- Salon hairdryers incl GHD, GHD straighteners (on request), make-up mirrors (5x), LED in-canopy reading lights
- Bathrobes, spa gowns, slippers
- Adaptors for your phone chargers and personal appliances (Australian, UK, USA and universal)
- Twice daily room service including turn down of an evening.
Child Friendly features
- Children’s rooms with special locks for overnight, and 2 inter-connecting rooms available
- Bed rails
- Netted cots/cribs
- Baby change mats
- Baby baths
- Bumbo potty seat/toilet trainers
- Night lights
- Sarongs, sandals, shopping/beach basket
- Airport transfers (NB You will be met at the airport (or other hotel) by the villa manager and returned there on the day of your departure)
- Chauffeured 8-seater vehicle (petrol at guests’ cost)
- Evening canapés on your first night
- Daily full breakfasts (à la carte)
- [All other meals charged at cost of ingredients only. No shopping/preparation mark-ups.]
- Unlimited bottled water in bedrooms and all dining areas
- Chopard and bespoke natural bathroom products
- Rooms serviced twice daily including turn down during dinner
- Laundry and pressing
- All-day imported teas (including TWG), Nespresso and Bali’s famous local coffee
- Driver/tour guide for up to 8hrs per day, thereafter a charge will be made per 4hrs or part thereof.
- Late check-out to suit flights unless there is a new check-in on that day (when an 11:00am check-out is required)
- If the date is still available a late check-out can be guaranteed by payment of 50% of the daily published rate for check-out to 6pm (100% to suit late night flights).
Book the three-bedroom flagship Villa Sungai or the two-bedroom ‘Owner’s Villa’ Sungai Gold next door, or take over both [Sungai Platinum] for the ultimate glamorous escape.
(Tariffs quoted in AUD, per night)
Low Season (All Dates except ‘High Season’ below)
$1,100 AUD per night [Up to 6 adults + children/babies (no charge)]
$850 AUD per night [Up to 2 adults + children/babies (no charge)]
High Season (15 Dec – 15 Jan, Easter week, 1 July – 31 Aug)
$1,300 AUD per night [Up to 6 adults + children/babies (no charge)]
$1,000 AUD per night [Up to 2 adults + children/babies (no charge)]
Rate for up to 2 additional adults (in 3 king rooms or 4th king bed) $100 AUD per night
All rates are subject to a 5% Service Tax + 10% Gov’t Tax = 15% (subject to change)
Minimum stay requirements
High Season: 10 nights (Easter 7 nights); Other: 3 nights or subject to bookings
- To guarantee a reservation a deposit of 50 per cent of the rental amount must be received by Villa Sungai Bali management within five working days of the confirmation of reservation being provided.
- For Low Season bookings, final payment is required 60 days prior to check-in, or immediately if the booking is made less than 60 days prior to check-in.
- For High Season bookings, final payment is required 90 days prior to check-in, or immediately if the booking is made less than 90 days prior to check-in.
- Payments will be made in AUD via Electronic Transfer to the nominated Australian account.
- All bank charges incurred must be paid by the guest. Any shortfall of deposit or final payment because of bank charges will be added to the guest’s final villa account.
Villa Sungai is a three times winner of ‘Best Overseas Boutique Villa’ awarded by Luxury Travel Magazine Gold List. The Villa has impeccable Trip Advisor Reviews and has been reviewed by many leading journalists and publications worldwide.
On the SW coast: Canggu: 15 mins; Seminyak: 30 mins; Ubud: 40 mins; Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS): 45-60 mins. Sungai’s private world of tranquillity and indulgence lies in the midst of the traditional village of Cepaka. Village and villa are set jewel-like in a dramatic setting of the volcanoes of Bali, with emerald terraces of rice, tropical forests and ancient temples all around.
Instilling the magic of an island undiscovered, Villa Sungai is set in the unspoiled village of Cepaka – tucked away on the south west coast 10 minutes from Canggu Beach. Conveying a strong sense of place, the villas are for those who are looking for a more personal, bespoke hotel experience with exposure to the authentic Bali, and yet they are easily accessible to the bustling Seminyak and iconic Ubud.
You will find Villa Sungai along the riverfront, elegantly perched to provide unimpeded views of the vast palms and tangled jungle all around.
You can choose to witness typical traditional life at first hand. Working together towards a common goal, men and women set out at dawn to their fields, ploughing, irrigating, planting, and harvesting. In the village compound they gather to make delicate and colourful offerings for their ancestral forbears and Hindu deities, and carry out other village activities, which involve all members of the community. Balinese call this “gotong royong”, which means helping each other, or community teamwork.
This community spirit, untiring religious devotion, and the fact that the people work closely with nature epitomize their “trihita karana” philosophy of the interconnection between man, nature and the divine. There are no restaurants, cafes or even shops bigger than tiny stores selling the most basic supplies. There are just lanes of typical sprawling Balinese house compounds, several temples including the main one that Villa Sungai is fortunate to sit below, and a handful of workshops producing some of the handcrafts that fill tourist shops in Ubud or Kuta. Mobile phones, motorbikes and televisions are the modern day additions. Sungai is part of this community.
The cultural benefits of staying within a beautiful traditional village are compelling. The packaging of culture is inevitable with mass tourism, and in Bali, visitors typically encounter it through carefully choreographed performances. You won’t find anything staged in this authentic village. But that doesn’t mean you won’t witness a temple ceremony or an even more intimate rite of passage in someone’s home. It really just depends on what’s happening that day.
Our guests delight in the opportunity to be shown around the rice field-cocooned local village by the manager MADE, including a visit for children to the local primary school, and maybe even a visit to his own family temple and compound. MADE’s knowledge of the village is laced with folk wisdom passed down through the generations.
The Balinese take the mundane and elevate it to a celebration, giving thanks for every aspect of their life. The amazing thing about being in Bali is that you feel part of the culture and can’t help but be caught up in the spirit.
What to do:
Balance your time between activities at the villa and the surrounding countryside and villages (and of course the shopping and dining in nearby Seminyak). Feel free to contact the Concierge to personalise your stay with us.
From the volcanic mountains down to the surf-lapped shoreline, the Tabanan Regency in Bali’s picturesque west reveals hidden gems. Away from the island’s well-beaten tourist trails, you get a sense of the ‘real Bali’. Decide how you want to experience and explore it.
Whether the aim is to better understand indigenous cultures and the local community, or to appreciate the splendour of the region’s flora and fauna, your concierge team can tailor one-of-a-kind excursions and activities and they can also organise local tours with the villa’s preferred partners.
- Ensuite bathroom
- Family friendly
- Satellite TV with English speaking channels
- Village based/outside village
- Washing machine/laundry facilities